Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Pejorative Term for a Significant Other

We left my parents home full of mixed emotions trying to process everything that had just happened. My mind flooded with thoughts...Did he like my family? Was he comfortable? Could he tell we were talking about him? Will he stay? What now?

He started the car and slid his right hand into mine as usual. I looked over to him and he smiled, "I like your family baby which makes me like you even more." And that was it! All of my fears and doubts left my mind and I was at ease except for the fact that a ring was still not on my left hand! I pushed the thought away and accepted that he would ask me on his own time. However, I did mention he better not ask too late because I needed time to plan. His response made it seem like he would make me wait at least a month or so before even thinking about asking me. Forty-five minutes into the trip we were driving we came across the Sam Houston statue and Josh asked to stop to take some pictures. A few wrong turns (which happens often) and he finally ended up in the parking lot. Into the woods we went to stand by the 100 foot statue of our state hero Sam Houston.

Josh looked like an ant next to the statue. I couldn't help but feel like the luckiest girl in the world, just being next to him made me feel whole. We took turns taking pictures of each other. As we started our way back to the car Josh pulled me to the side and we sat down on a wooden table to enjoy nature a bit more. He missed so much the sound of trees whistling in the wind, I could tell he was absorbing the smell of the ground holding on to it before we entered the city again. A reminder of his hometown in Arizona, Josh felt at home in the midst of those giant trees. Some flowers caught our attention and we decided to take some pictures. We began talking about the weekend and how great it had turned out. His hands a bit sweaty were around my back and neck as I hugged his waist. His soft lips graced my forehead as I inhaled his scent. "Well now that I've asked your dad I guess all I have left to do is ask you to marry me huh?" he slyly stated. I pushed him away from me as I rolled my eyes turning around to leave back to the car. That is the last thing I wanted to hear, especially since he told me he was planning on making me wait a month or so for it to be a surprise.

He pulled my left hand back towards him as he kneeled on the ground and said, "So now would be a good time, right?" I COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EYES. I wasn't sure whether to cry, laugh, slap him, or run away. Was he being serious? Should I cry? I was motionless for a few moments (or what seemed like an eternity)...too long for him because he shoved the ring on my finger as I finally was able to force my head to move up and down. He jumped up and hugged me which made me burst into tears. Finally my lips were able to say yes over and over again. We just stood there hugging and laughing, mostly me just crying (tears of happiness of course). I couldn't believe it!! It was official and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Only six weeks of dating and we chose to spend the rest of our lives and eternity together. It felt right. Like two puzzle pieces finally coming together, after all the wrong ones, to complete the picture.

You should hear his side of this story....

No comments:

Post a Comment